Thursday, April 24, 2014

Conflicted Love: NBA Superstars


If you've followed this blog since the beginning, you know that there is one athlete on this planet that I love more than any other. More than Roy Halladay. More than RG3. It's Lebron James. You can see examples of this love here and here.

I've lived a very comfortable and happy life with the idea of Lebron. He's always been there when I've needed him most. He's been a perfect role model for me no matter what-don't-you-try-to-tell-me-different-I-can't-hear-you-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!

Anyway, things have been pretty good. I could have went through life with Lebron being my favorite player forever.

And then I watched Game 2 of the OKC Thunder vs. the Memphis Grizzlies. And I saw a basketball player there who wowed me. Who made me say "woah." That player, of course, was Kevin Durant.


He played like a man possessed. Taking control of the game when Westbrook couldn't get it done. And that fall out of bounds 4 point play!? I mean come on! Maybe he's always been this good and I'm just now realizing it. But after this season, he's starting to stand out to me.

And here is the dilemma. With how much I love Lebron, I don't feel like I should have room in my heart for another. And boy do I love Lebron. But Durant is so smooth. And Lebron has been kind of lack luster this season. Plus, I went to a Sixers vs. Heat game and he was such a jerk in person! It's much different watching him live against your own team.

But me and Lebron have been through so much. The Dark Times at Cleveland, The Decision, 4 Finals appearances and the back to back NBA Championships. And Durant didn't even win that game. He missed the free throw for crying out loud. I'm no front runner (except for all my favorite athletes and sports teams) but these NBA playoffs may stir up some emotions in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment