Thursday, April 24, 2014

MLU Week 3: Games to Watch


Oh hey there Ultimate Fans! I didn't see you come in! I was busy reading over last weeks installment of MLU Games to Watch. You know, the one where I swept the weekend picking two upsets, SUPER close to the actual score? I mean really, it's no big deal. But just since we'e on the subject:

There!

Now to try and bring it to 4-0, I give you the Sports Pro and the Average Bro MLU Games to Watch in Week 3!

East

The East is Rematch City this weekend! Two of the great games of Week 2 will be replayed in enemy territory. And since last week I picked the stunner in the Nations Capital, this week I'm heading a bit north to Philadelphia.


Truth be told I did not think Spinners v. Rumble would be a good game to watch. Boy oh BABY, was I wrong. After watching Philly play DC in Week 1, I was convinced that Philadelphia wasn't a very good team. They played hard, but their lack of defense and inability to spread the field was their undoing. Yet somehow, despite these shortcomings, they have managed to keep games surprisingly close.

This was again the case in New York last week. The Spinners took the match into double overtime before allowing an easy goal during a questionable no-call injury. Had Philadelphia played better defense they would have won and the game not needed the OT. They gave New York plenty of opportunities to run away with the match but they somehow kept it close.

Now the tables are turned, and New York is coming into Philly territory to settle the rematch. It's very hard for me to believe that this team doesn't pull out a win here. The Spinners now have two weeks of game tape to review and fix their defense, which I think is very fixable. This is the game where the Spinners keep it close enough to really pull away at the end. I see a 4th Quarter surge of 8 points scored, 3 of them consecutively.


Philadelphia Spinners   24 - 20   New York Rumble

West

Thanks to the San Francisco game in hand and the one game season of Portland, the Western Conference standings are all kinds of messed up. I'll have my eyes on a team that did me proud last week. The Vancouver Nighthawks will take a short road trip south of the border to take on the Seattle Rainmakers.

Both teams have an even record of 1-1 in their conference. One team will have to break away. The Nighthawks played very dynamically in their match up against the Dogfish last week. They made the cuts they needed to make and kept the field well spread.

The Rainmakers also had the joy of beating up on the Dogfish this past week, though they gave them every chance to come back. The Dogfish forced OT and fatigue began setting in for both teams. It seemed like a combination of jitters and butterfingers got the best of the Rainmakers toward the end, but they were able to sneak out a victory.

This game could really go either way. I love the way Vancouver moves the disc but the Seattle defense is one to be reckoned with. At the end, I think the Nighthawks pull out a win here.


Vancouver Nighthawks 19 - 17  Seattle Rainmakers

How convenient that both of my Games to Watch are games that you can watch live on MLULive. Check out these games and come back next time...when I'm 4-0! But really...no big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment